Friday, August 9, 2013

Can't Get Enough Funky Buddha, and Hey Ladies!!

Funky Buddha emailed me that my personalized snifter was in. That's all I needed to head back to Oakland Park. After a delicious, not overly sweet Blood Orange IPA, it seemed like a perfect time for a 2PM tour. So, after $5, and a free commemorative pint glass, off to the back we went! The tour guide was awesome. He was super passionate about the history, the beer, and the process. Beer nerds know beer nerds, and this dude knows what's up. I didn't realize how successful their Maple Bacon Coffee Porter was at GABF (Great American Beer Festival), and how it was instrumental in putting them on the map! I also learned that their tanks are named after kids, pets and dead Grandparents; i.e. Popper, Gram and Miles, to name a few. After touring the facility, sampling the goods along the way, and checking out the fridge with the motherload of kegs - we were released back with the common folks. I had a No Crusts, which seriously, is like a PB&J but very drinkable, and then a big ol' growler of Hop Gun IPA for the road. Hop Gun IPA was so fresh, and just delicious. I'm not sure what kind of hops they use, but it really reminded me of Cigar City Jai Alai. Two very different tasting, and yummy IPAs, but, I can see a parallel in there somewhere. Maybe it's the same kind of hops??



Time for a ladies night! Two beer dorks, and three non beer dorks, got glammed up and headed to the Royal Pig in Ft. Lauderdale. I was curious to try their own Royal Pig Red Ale, so I ordered it in a flight along with: Green Flash IPA, Rogue Dead Guy Ale, and Breckenridge Vanilla Porter (all safe choices). I wasn't overly impressed with their Red Ale. It seemed a little watery, but I did enjoy the oaky flavors. Maybe it was the tap. It wasn't good enough to get another one. My next one was an Epcot sized glass, of Rogue Dead Guy. Can't go wrong with that one!


Random shout out! Friday's in Davie has expanded their craft selection, specifically on the local side. I savored a Monk in the Trunk (Inlet Brewing), but had a choice of Tequesta Brewing. Impressive, Fridays! 



As I'm typing and sipping, I have to talk about this Dogfish Positive Contact; the collaboration of apple cider, music and beer, with Dan the Automator. You've got spices, cilantro, light mouth feel, yet 9% ABV. I can't recall a more complex, yet simple brew. Dogfish is known for their random specialty brews, and this is one of the better ones I've had!





No comments:

Post a Comment